The vegan diet gets a reputation for being extremely restrictive and difficult to stick to. When I tell people I’m vegan, 90% of the time I get a response along the lines of “I could never do that!” Well, this post is dedicated to the amazing perks of being vegan that often go unacknowledged.
1. You can eat MORE! It seems miserable to have to constantly count your calories and control portion sizes. Who can honestly say that a Lean Cuisine makes a satisfying meal? Because animal products are more dense in calories and fat, you cannot eat a large volume of them. Fortunately, 400 calories of plant material fills the stomach perfectly, leaving you feeling satisfied after every meal. So go vegan and eat up!
2. You are leaving a smaller ENVIRONMENTAL FOOTPRINT. No more fooling yourself with the environmental benefits of shutting off the sink while you brush your teeth or turning off the lights when you leave the room. Though you should still use your resources wisely, know that the vegan diet alone contributes tremendously to reducing environmental damage, more than the aforementioned gestures ever could. So grab your veggies feel good about helping the environment!
3. You feel HEALTHIER! Going vegan immediately eliminates the most unhealthy foods in your diet, such as fast food, ice cream, and hot dogs. All vegan food, even Oreos and vegan ice cream, are cholesterol free! It is a great relief to know that your risk for terrible diseases like heart disease and cancer have been dramatically decreased.
Here in college, my friends constantly complain about overeating the dining hall’s cookies or soft serve. As a vegan, avoiding junk food and making healthy choices is so much easier! Have I successfully escaped the dreaded Freshman 15?
4. Food tastes BETTER! Once you have been vegan for awhile, your taste preferences change to favor delicious and nutritious foods like veggies and fruits. (And besides, who doesn’t feel nauseated after eating a greasy bacon double cheeseburger? Yuck!) Once you know that no pain, suffering, or death went into the making of your meal, your food tastes better than ever before! A clear conscience makes eating MUCH more enjoyable! Nothing feeds the body, mind, and soul better than a wholesome vegan meal.
5. You are living INDEPENDENTLY! Think of the your most proud accomplishments in life. The reason why you were able to achieve them was because you ate food, which gave you the energy to live. If you are not vegan, then your entire existence is dependent upon causing pain, suffering, and death to other living beings. When you stop eating animal products, you liberate yourself from gaining nourishment at others’ expense. No longer do you stand upon the crushed skulls of other beings to reach your goals. Every success and victory you achieve is truly yours.
All of these amazing perks and more are free for you to enjoy! All you have to do is put down those nasty animal products. Once you begin experiencing all of the wonderful benefits of going vegan, you will never dream of going back! So let’s face it…Being VEGAN is pretty awesome!
Maybe one day the tables will turn and people will instead say, “Wow! You’re a meat eater! I could never do that!”