Everybody needs a warm and delicious bowl of comfort food sometimes! Macaroni and Cheese has always been one of my favorites, so naturally, I had to make a vegan version! No comfort food should cause others immeasurable pain and suffering. So here is my cruelty-free version of Macaroni and Cheese!
1. Macaroni noodles (make sure they contain no eggs!)
2. Your favorite vegan cheese shreds. I use Mozzarella style from Trader Joe’s.
3. Non-Dairy milk. I use coconut milk for its rich, smooth, and creamy texture.
4. Non-dairy butter spread. I use coconut oil spread.
5. Optional: Chopped vegetables. I use Broccoli.
1. Cook the noodles in boiling water.
2. Chop the vegetables and set aside.
3. When the noodles are halfway done, begin preparing the sauce. I boil about 2 teaspoons of non-dairy milk in a pot so the cheese will have something to melt into. Then, add the cheese a tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly and adding non-dairy milk to thin it to the texture you desire.
4. Cook the vegetables by either putting them in the boiling water with the noodles or steaming them in a separate pan.
5. Once the noodles are soft, strain them and put them in a bowl with the vegetables. Add 2 teaspoons of non-dairy butter and stir.
6. Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles and vegetables and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste, if you wish.
There’s no way to tell that this Macaroni and Cheese is vegan. Test it out on your non-vegan friends and see! As your taste buds will surely tell you, the only thing you have to give up when you go vegan is cruelty. 🙂 🙂 🙂
If you try out this recipe, I would love to know how it turns out!